ORIGIN IS LOOKING FOR A CREATIVE AND COMPETENT CAFÉ CHEF
Origin is looking for a new chef for our coffee shop in Scoresby Street, Southwark; known as a destination for exceptional coffee and food, in equal measures. The position is perfect for someone looking to progress to a Commis Chef or Chef de Partie. We are looking for an individual who wants to be part of a team, pushing boundaries with food, considerate of provenance, source, and sustainability with a positive work ethic, bolstered by flare and attitude and a constant willingness to learn.
Alongside having a passion for produce and ingredients you will have the ability to develop and embrace our company culture and be able to deliver the Origin brand to our customers through exceptional food.
What sets us apart is we can offer predominately sociable hours in this role, equating to 40-45 hours per week, with the occasional evening.
Origin is tenacious and driven to succeed and our people share our ambition for success. We’re looking for a motivated, like-minded Café Chef to deliver an outstanding food offer and continue to raise our already very high bar….
Origin’s key drivers are quality, people, culture and sustainability.
We are an aspirational brand and positioned as one of the leading speciality coffee roasters in the UK and Europe. We source and roast incredible direct trade coffees where quality, seasonality, provenance, and traceability underpin our supply chain. We work at farm level building long term commercially sustainable relationships with farmers and cooperatives. We look to initiatives that support triple bottom line sustainability and in doing so balance purpose with profit. As a result, we are part of the B-Corp community.
Origin supplies coffee to the leading and most progressive speciality coffee and hospitality businesses in the UK and Europe. We also own and operate seven of our own speciality coffee shops, serving incredible food across London and Cornwall.
First off, attitude is key. People say they love to work with you. Next up, and of equal importance, you have previous professional kitchen experience and you are ready for your next challenge. Your creativity influences your willingness to try new things and you love pushing boundaries when it comes to creating food your customers will love. Your interest in food runs as deep as our coffee knowledge; making us the perfect match. Fundamentally, your love of delicious food, small suppliers, and high-quality ingredients, with constant attention to detail is what will make you Origin’s shining food star in Southwark.
YOUR MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To support the Head chef and deliver high quality, seasonal, imaginative fresh plates meeting all Origin standards within a fast-paced environment
- To contribute to the creative development of Origin’s food offerings so we always deliver an exceptionally high calibre
- Full responsibility for the kitchen and service in Head Chef absence
- Be part of the f and b team who deliver refreshed, socially conscious food
- Be part of a team focussed on an inclusive learning and supportive environment, allowing everyone to grow and develop during their Origin journey
- Maintain high standards of health and safety, food hygiene, portioning and waste control
- Contribute to the strategic building of Origin’s reputation both in Southwark and across the city as a destination to seek exceptional food and drink
- Demonstrate exceptional service when customer facing and whilst working amongst colleagues.
THE BEST BASICS
- A full-time, permanent contract
- A fabulous working environment – sociable working hours with only the occasional evening for special events, otherwise your evenings are your own
- SCA Coffee Diploma Education training to bolster your food career
- Pension contribution following successful probation
- Career development – optimising learning and training opportunities led by you
- Origin is going places, so you get to grow with us. This is an exciting stage of growth for us and if you’re the right person, it will be for you too.
THE BETTER THAN MOST BENEFITS
- Working visits and trips to the Cornwall roastery
- Mental Health First Aid training
- Support with health, physical, mental, and financial wellness at work
- Commitment from us for your continued learning and development
- Cycle to work scheme
- Increase in holiday allowance for longer length service
- Free weekly coffee to take home – feature or mainstay
- Free coffee and hot drinks in any of our coffee shops and 50% off all food and discounted alcohol
- Generous discount for friends and family in all our coffee shops
- Very generous discount off brewing equipment and like-minded brands and partner suppliers
- And of course, regular social team events serving exceptional food, drink, and of course, amazing coffee!
NEXT STEPS AND HOW TO APPLY
We invite applications from only the best people, so, once you have done your homework on Origin Coffee, please email your covering letter and ‘one-page only’ CV to Ellie Rowe, Head of People and Culture at firstname.lastname@example.org For your application to be considered, do include the job title in the subject line of your email. As you can imagine, we receive lots, so please make it easy for us to match you with our Café Chef role.
Due to the volume of applications, please do make sure your covering letter explains why you working for Origin Coffee will make a difference, not just to your life, but ours too. We are an ambitious company with an incredible team of people, so we need to know if you are going to join us, what you are going to bring to the team, more than just ‘do the job’.
We are looking for a quick start. If you’re interested in the role, please don’t hang around though, we will close the role once we have found the right person.