ARE YOU ORIGINS NEXT HEAD BARISTA?
Origin is going boom! And we’re looking for ambitious, like-minded people to join us for the next stage of our journey. As Head Barista you will spend your day serving the finest coffee from Charlotte Road in Shoreditch. It’s great being at the top of our game and we’re looking for people who love this feeling too!
Origin Coffee is one of the leading and most progressive speciality coffee roasters in the UK. We were recently voted as the top UK speciality roaster (top 3 in Europe) in Allegra’s 2019 Europe & Middle East Coffee Awards. Seasonality, sustainability, provenance, and traceability are at the heart of our supply chain. In addition to our independent coffee shops, our core business is wholesale coffee supply for leading coffee shops, hotels, and restaurants across the UK. Many of our customers who come in for their daily fix will talk to you about this too; often they’ll have experienced Origin elsewhere too.
Being part of the Origin team and working amongst industry leaders and innovative team members means you will benefit from a plethora of benefits including, weekly free take home mainstay and feature coffee, free coffee, and discount food in all our Origin cafes (Cornwall and London) for you, your friends and family. We also offer affiliate company discounts with like-minded brands, and of course, regular social team events serving exceptional food, drink and of course, amazing coffee.
You are currently working in speciality coffee and are looking for your next step. You will be an experienced speciality coffee barista with proven experience brewing coffee, preferably in a recognised café. You have extensive knowledge of speciality coffee and are ready to broaden you understanding of what this looks like for Origin. You are a real people person and passionate about our world. You’ll often be holding the fort in Charlotte Road and our customers are going to want to talk and learn from you, not just buy our coffee.
YOUR MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Welcome all customers with an informative, passionate and enthusiastic approach alongside a comprehensive knowledge of speciality coffee; ensuring all customers on the speciality coffee journey feel appreciated and respected
- Provide ongoing support and development to a high performing barista team, ensuring all staff understand their responsibilities with ongoing supervision, training and support
- Have a focus on maximising revenue by increasing sales, spend and conversion while minimising costs in ways that do not have negative impacts on quality or service
- Continuous improvement in all aspects of the role to ensure Origin’s ambitions continue to drive development and remain industry leaders
- Recipe creation for single origin coffees; espresso, pour over and batch filter – our baristas pride themselves on serving the best
- Exceptional understanding of the day-to-day operation and upkeep of coffee machinery, including the ability to dial in; you will be working with La Marzocco espresso machines
- Demonstrate outstanding filter knowledge and a range of brew techniques supported by an eye for detail, we want to see meticulous quality control
- Have a high level of cleanliness throughout service in all areas of the café, including the cleaning down of machines
- Opening and closing duties for the café
- Be an Origin ambassador; as industry leaders you’re responsible for demonstrating what exceptional looks like.
WHAT ELSE IS IN IT FOR YOU
- A full-time contract paying the Real London Living Wage
- A full immersion into the world of speciality coffee, there is so much to Origin, once you join you won’t want to leave….
- We are going places and you get to grow with us. This is an exciting stage of growth for us and if you’re the right person, it will be for you too.
We invite applications from exceptional people who wish to join us, so, once you have done your homework on Origin Coffee, please email your covering letter and CV to Ellie Rowe, Head of People and Culture at email@example.com For your application to be considered, do include the job title in the subject line of your email. As you can imagine, we receive lots, so please make it easy for us to match you with our Head Barista, Shoreditch.
Due to the volume of applications, please do make sure you go into detail as to why working for Origin Coffee will make a difference, not just to your life, but ours too. We are an ambitious company with an incredible team of people, so we need to know if you are going to join us, what you are going to bring to the team, more than just ‘do the job’.