Dialling in espresso is an essential skill for all baristas. The rate at which ground coffee dissolves in water has a great effect on overall taste. Espresso flavour is influenced by ground weight, overall espresso weight and the time it takes to produce your espresso. Using a simple ratio and following some easy-to-follow steps, we can extract a delicious and balanced espresso.
With this recipe, we’re aiming to extract the espresso in 28-32 seconds with a total espresso weight of 36g (1:2 ratio)
- Coffee to water ratio: 18:36g (1:2)
- Coffee: 15g (fine grind)
- Extraction time: 28-32 seconds
- Take the portafilter out of the machine and clean it with a towel
- Run some water through the machine (also known as flushing)
- Place the portafilter scales and tare (zero)
- Dose 18g of freshly ground coffee into the handle and distribute the coffee evenly in the basket
- The coffee grind size should be fine (icing sugar)
- With the edge of the portafilter handle on the counter (or tamping mat), use your body weight to gently tamp and evenly distribute the ground coffee in the basket.
- Clean the rim of the handle with your hand making sure there is no loose coffee outside of the basket
- Twist the portafilter into the group head
- Place coffee scales and a cup under the spouts
- Press the double shot button and start the timer
- With this recipe, we’re aiming to extract the espresso in 28-32 seconds with a total espresso weight of 36g (1:2 ratio)
- If the espresso extracts shorter than 28 seconds, the coffee is too coarse. Adjust the grind size to make the coffee finer
- If the espresso extracts longer than 32 seconds, the coffee is too fine. Adjust the grind size to make the coffee coarser
- Stop the machine when the scale reads around 34 grams (this is to accommodate the delay of the scales)
- Let it drip to 36 grams
- Stir the espresso
- To keep your machine in really good condition and your coffee tasting at its best, it is essential that you fully clean your machine daily. A well-kept machine will reduce servicing costs and ensure your machine will give you years of loyal service.
- Between each grind adjustment, grind off some coffee to ensure all the coffee is the new desired size