Free Royal Mail Tracked 48 delivery on all orders over £15 (UK only)
Order before 12:00 & get your order despatched same day (excluding weekends)
All orders of 1 or 2 x 250g bags of coffee will be despatched in a letterbox friendly parcel
A unique black honey anaerobic process.
This coffee sees the continuation of our collaboration with one of our long-standing direct trade partners in El Salvador, Carlos Pola. Carefully marrying modern technology with craft and intuition, Carlos and his team have an innate knowledge of the plants that grow on their cultivated hillsides surrounding Juayua.
The coffee drying beds in San Antonio are created by Carlos, using strings and mesh fabric, which offers greater air flow to dry coffee. Underneath dried coffee pulp is layered up, which creates more aroma via sunlight, grilling the coffee.
The coffee cherries were fermented in an anaerobic environment for three days. After that, they were depulped, and laid to dry on raised beds. The 18 days of drying on the bed causes the sugar-browning caramelisation of the cherries, turning them black - hence the process is called black honey.
- Country: El Salvador
- Processing: Black Honey Anaerobic
- Producer: Carlos Pola
- Region: Juayua
- Varietal: Pola
- Elevation: 1,450 masl
- Price to Producer: USD/LB $4.00
PRICE TO PRODUCER
- This is defined as the price paid to either the coffee producer who grows and processes their own coffee or the entity overseeing the primary post-harvest process. the UDS/lb calculation relates to the volume of exported green coffee.
LIVE TRANSPARENCY REPORT
- Espresso: 1:2 coffee to water, extracted in 28-32 secs
- Filter: 60-65g coffee per litre of water, brewed for 3-4 mins
- We create a new and unique profile for each coffee we roast. Although the profiles are different, our approach is always the same, to highlight and accentuate the flavours created at the farm and mill. This means we don't label our coffees as espresso, filter, dark or light roast. This coffee is omni-roast, meant to be delicious however you brew. We believe the heart of speciality is keeping the identity and character of every coffee intact and alive, no matter the brew method.