Introducing the Origin Macchiato Smackdown, showcasing incredible barista skill, creativity and coffee excellence. Held in collaboration with La Marzocco & Coffee Hit.
- £10 for competitors (see prizes below)
- A maximum of 16 competitor spaces available per heat.
- The 16 in each heat will be whittled down to 4, who will go on to compete in the finals.
NB each company may only enter a maximum of two competitors.
Competition Dates & Times
Heat 1 | Thursday 24 August, 1930 - 2130
Heat 2 | Thursday 31 August, 1930 - 2130
Final | Thursday 14 September, 1930 - 2130
Heats | Origin Coffee Roasters, 65 Charlotte Road, Shoreditch, EC2A 3PE
Final | La Marzocco Offices, 14C Shepherdess Walk, London N1 7LB
Spectators welcome, sign up at bit.ly/MacchiatoSmackdown.
We'll also be offering free beer and pizza throughout the event, from Harbour Brewing in Cornwall, and our neighbours at Homeslice Old Street.
Cash pot from entry fees
SCA Intermediate Barista or Brewing Course (worth £400)
Baratza Encore grinder courtesy of Coffee Hit
A 12-month, monthly Origin coffee subscription
La Marzocco goody bag
Brewista kettle courtesy of Coffee Hit
A 6-month, monthly Origin coffee subscription
La Marzocco goody bag
Rhinowares hand grinder courtesy of Coffee Hit
32 baristas will take part, pouring their best latte art into 3oz espresso cups, with a single espresso. The competition will take place over three rounds, with two heats to decide who will be in the final.
There will be 16 entrants per heat, with head-to-head, knock out pours. The 16 in each heat will be whittled down to 4, who will go on to compete in the finals taking place on Thursday 14 September 2017.
The Rules- An Origin barista will pour single shots into 2x 80ml Loveramics espresso cups.
- The latte art dice will be rolled to determine the pattern.
- The competitor will steam, and split their milk.
- The competitor will pour their pattern, and put their best pour forward.
- Any leftover milk will be poured into a glass to be measured.
- Judges will assess which competitor replicated the pattern most accurately, and on the count of three will choose their winner. The winner will go through to the next round.
There will be 8 baristas in the finals, which means there will be a slight change in the format. These changes will be published upon completion of the second heat, and the announcement of the finalists.
We’re all looking forward to seeing you and watching an epic showcase of barista precision and skill along with crowning the first ever winner of our Macchiato smackdown. Any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org