This Sri Lankan dhal with spinach is the perfect dish to cook up at the weekend, and serve throughout the week, for a quick and delicious, vegan-friendly meal.
- 500g red lentils
- 500g spinachc chopped
- 1 bulb of garlic, grated
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 6 sprigs fresh curry leaves
- 2 fresh green chillies, chopped 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt 2 x 400ml tin of coconut milk
- 6 tbsp coconut oil
- Ideally, you should soak the lentils in cold water for 2 to 3 hours to soften.
- Set aside half the garlic, red onion, mustard seeds, and cumin seeds, and 3 sprigs of curry leaves.
- Place the remaining ingredients (except the coconut oil) into a medium sized saucepan. Mix thoroughly and cook on a medium heat for 15 minutes with a lid, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach and allow to simmer for a further ten minutes.
- In a separate frying pan, add the coconut oil and place on a medium heat.
- Once sizzling, add the reserved mustard seeds. As soon as they start to spit, add in the reserved cumin, garlic red onion and curry leaves. Continue to fry and let the flavours infuse for a couple of minutes.
- Pour this spiced oil on top of your finished dhal and swirl it in with a spoon
- Season to taste, then serve and enjoy.