Celebrating flavours evoking Christmas, we’re proud to showcase two coffee-infused cocktails curated by Dan Fellows. Featuring twists on one of his winning World Coffee in Good Spirits (WCIGS) drinks and on a classic. Here’s how he made them.
Hot Buttered Coffee
An adaptation of Dan’s WCiGS 2018 winning drink ‘A Message from El Salvador’, this winter warmer has comforting flavours of Christmas pudding, brandy butter and chocolate orange – perfect for a cold Winter’s day.
2 shots of Origin Pathfinder espresso
60ml Golden rum
10g Molasses sugar
40ml Pedro Ximenez sherry
2 Cinnamon sticks
6g Orange peel (use peeler and remove any remaining pith with knife)
2g Halved vanilla pod
30g Salted organic butter
- Pre-warm glasses
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan
- Gently warm to 60°C and stir until all molasses sugar has dissolved
- Remove from heat
- Strain through sieve or muslin and serve in warm glasses
- Orange half wheel
Stout-finished Irish Coffee
This twist on the Irish Coffee is rich, sweet and dessert-like, perfect as an after-dinner alternative. The Stout-finished Irish Coffee has flavours of butterscotch, molasses and stout, with dark fruit character lingering into the finish.
400ml Origin San Fermin filter coffee (brewed to ratio of 1:10 dose to yield)
50ml Stout-finished whiskey
40ml Molasses syrup (made with equal parts molasses sugar and boiling water)
40ml Organic double cream
- Decant brewed coffee into warmed carafe
- Add whiskey and sugar syrup, stirring this into the brewed coffee
- Distribute evenly into serving glasses
- Lightly whip the cream, ensuring this still has a pouring consistency
- Float the cream on top of the drink
- Serve with a sprinkling of grated nutmeg and dark chocolate
Read more about Dan's WCiGs win and what a huge accomplishment this is at bit.ly/DanFellows.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas from us all at Origin, please drink responsibly.
Photography credit Sam Burdall samjburdall.com
Shoot location Harbour Head, Porthleven, TR13 8JY