This classic chocolate espresso cake is arguably one of the most popular customer choices over at our Scoresby Street location in Southwark, London.
Recreate this simple, beautifully indulgent cake for those moments when a cup of coffee demands a little something on the side.
- 200g Rio Nuevo 70% chocolate
- 200g British unsalted butter
- 170g rye flour
- 200g fairtrade golden caster sugar
- 200g panela sugar or a fairtrade, light brown sugar
- 25g cocoa powder
- 3 free range eggs, beaten
- 75g double cream
- 125ml espresso (we recommend one of our classic mainstay coffees)
- Heat the oven to 140c and line a 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Place a heat-safe bowl over a saucepan of shallow water (the bottom of the bowl should not touch the water), and gently heat.
- Add the chocolate, sugars, butter, and espresso to the bowl and stir gently until all ingredients are combined.
- Sieve the rye flour and cocoa powder into a separate bowl, then add to the chocolate mix.
- Mix the eggs and double cream together, then add to the chocolate bowl.
- Stir to combine, transfer to the cake tin, then bake for 1:20-1:30 hrs, until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a rack, then slice to serve. Delicious served warm with ice cream and a cup of coffee. Enjoy.