A SHOUT OUT FOR EXCEPTIONAL BARISTA’S IN LONDON
Origin is looking for a team of outstanding baristas for both Scoresby Street, Southwark and the British Library, King’s Cross. If you are a barista looking for a career in speciality coffee, considering your SCA training and the opportunity to work with industry leaders, we can take you there. We have an exceptional team of experienced individuals including Freda Yuan, our Head of Coffee, a licensed Q grader and SCA UK Cup Tasting champion for 2017, 2018 & 2020, and 3rd place in the World Cup Tasters 2017. If you share our drive and ambition and would love to work alongside and learn from our team of experts whilst growing your coffee career, we would love to hear from you.
Origin Coffee identifies as one of the leading and most progressive speciality coffee roasters, recently voted as the top UK speciality roaster (top 3 in Europe) in Allegra’s 2019 Europe & Middle East Coffee Awards. Seasonality, sustainability, provenance, and traceability are at the heart of our supply chain. In addition to our independent coffee shops, our core business is wholesale coffee supply for leading coffee shops, hotels, and restaurants across the UK. Many of our customers who come in for their daily fix will talk about this; often they’ll have experienced Origin elsewhere too. We are the talking point, and all Origin employees drive our reputation. Our coffee shops translate, showcase, and demonstrate the direct work we do with our farm and mill partners direct to our customers, Origin is shaped by the desire to empower and enthuse people at every stage of their coffee journey and as part of our team, you’ll be responsible for getting this out there, on point and on brand.
You are currently working in speciality coffee but know it’s time to come and work for one of the best speciality coffee companies out there. You will be able to demonstrate how your proven experience of brewing coffee, preferably in a recognised café adds value to our coffee shops. Your knowledge of speciality coffee is strong but you’re looking to broaden your expertise and we can train you to do just that. You are a people person, communicating comes easy and are passionate about our world. You’ll often be holding the fort and our customers are going to want to talk and learn from you and not just buy our coffee.
YOUR MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Able to understand and deliver the basics of making of espresso, filter and a range of brew techniques
- Deliver an informed, passionate and enthusiastic approach to communicating speciality coffee to all customers
- Prioritise and deliver exceptional customer service
- Understand the day-to-day operation and upkeep of all coffee machinery, including the ability to dial in with La Marzocco espresso machines
- Develop and maintain excellent latte art skills
- Have a high level of cleanliness throughout service in all areas of the café, including the cleaning down of machines, working areas and public spaces
- Opening and closing duties for the café
- Represent the brand as an Origin ambassador; we’re industry leaders and you’re responsible for showing our customers what that looks like.
- A full-time, permanent contract paying more than the Real London Living Wage
- SCA Coffee Skills Diploma training
- Pension contribution following successful probation
- A fabulous working environment – in this instance, very much shaped by you
- Career development – optimising learning and training opportunities led by you
- Origin is going places so you get to grow with us. This is an exciting stage of growth for us and if you’re the right person, it will be for you too.
THE BETTER THAN MOST BENEFITS
- Working and social visits to the Cornwall roastery
- Regular weekend days off
- Mental Health First Aid training
- Support with physical, mental, and financial wellness at work
- Commitment from us for your continued learning and development
- Paid time off for volunteering
- Increase in holiday allowance for longer length service
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free weekly coffee to take home
- Free coffee and hot drinks in any of our coffee shops
- 50% off all food and discounted alcohol
- Generous discount for friends and family in all our coffee shops
- Very generous discount off brewing equipment and like-minded brands and partner suppliers
- And of course, regular social team events serving exceptional food, drink, and of course, amazing coffee!
We invite applications from exceptional people who wish to join us, so, after your homework on Origin Coffee, please email your covering letter and one-page CV to Ellie Rowe, Head of People and Culture at firstname.lastname@example.org For your application to be considered, do include the job title in the subject line of your email. As you can imagine, we receive lots, so please make it easy for us to match you with our Barista positions in Southwark and the British Library.
Due to the volume of applications, please do make sure you go into detail as to why working for Origin Coffee will make a difference, not just to your life, but ours too. We are an ambitious company with an incredible team of people, so we need to know if you are going to join us, what you are going to bring to the team, more than just ‘do the job’.
START DATE – JULY, AUGUST, AND SEPTEMBER. Please note, as soon as we find the right people we shall close the job down. If this is your next opportunity don’t hesitate in getting your application in. We can’t wait to hear from you!