ARE YOU ORIGIN’S NEXT GENERAL MANAGER FOR SHOREDITCH OR SOUTHWARK?
Origin is looking for two ambitious and experienced Manager’s or Head Barista’s seeking progression and their next career opportunity. We have two General Manager positions, one for Charlotte Road, Shoreditch, and one for Scoresby Street, Southwark. The ideal candidates will have a strong background in speciality coffee and operations and will take the lead in setting the benchmark for coffee in London, the UK and Europe. Origin’s coffee shops showcase our brand and without exception, align with our philosophy. Our General Manager’s lead our retail teams, they keep everything running smoothly and drill down to the detail so nothing is amiss. Brand is key and by working closely with the business owner and function leads on creative direction, strategy and ambition continue to raise not only our bar, but our industries.
The role will have full management and operational responsibility of the day-to-day running, including leading the team on delivering impeccable customer service, identifying the teams learning and development opportunities and progression, including SCA, and weekly reviewing of financial data making operational adjustments to promote profitability. We encourage cross department working; Freda Yuan, our Head of Coffee will lead on brewing single origin espresso and filter alongside weekly feature coffee and special editions, Jana Slamova our Education and Training Manager will be there when you feel you or your team need a development or a little fine tuning, and our marketing team will be on-hand when you feel you need a push and to get your shop out there some more.
Origin Coffee identifies as one of the leading and most progressive speciality coffee roasters, recently voted as the top UK speciality roaster (top 3 in Europe) in Allegra’s 2019 Europe & Middle East Coffee Awards. Seasonality, sustainability, provenance, and traceability are at the heart of our supply chain. In addition to our independent coffee shops, our core business is wholesale coffee supply for leading coffee shops, hotels, and restaurants across the UK. Many of our customers who come in for their daily fix will talk about this; often they’ll have experienced Origin elsewhere too. We are the talking point, and all Origin employees drive our reputation. Our coffee shops translate, showcase, and demonstrate the direct work we do with our farm and mill partners direct to our customers, Origin is shaped by the desire to empower and enthuse people at every stage of their coffee journey and as General Manager you’ll be responsible for getting this out there, on point and on brand.
You are an outstanding leader, or at least one in the making, currently working in speciality coffee, super ambitious and career progression is your drive. You will have proven experience of brewing coffee, preferably in a recognised café with extensive knowledge of our industry, now ready to broaden your understanding of what this looks like for Origin. Everyone who knows you will describe you as a people person, outrageously organised and obsessed about our world. You’ll often be sharing the fort and our customers are going to want to learn from you, and not just buy our coffee but for the experience, you and your team will be why they keep coming back to Origin. You’ll work well under pressure, make a busy day look effortless yet fun and interactive all whilst building relationships some short lived, some for years to come.
As people are our everything at Origin; this opportunity welcomes you to a group of talented individuals drawn together by their passion for exceptional coffee. You will be working with the best of the best, industry leaders and innovative team members looking to achieve the next high bar. Our people experience, immediacy and individual expression must shine through, reflecting the natural energy and spirit that lives in us. Always striving for the top, we are looking for a natural leader to keep pushing boundaries, striving for the exceptional, whilst remaining transparent, authentic, and respectful.
With a strong culture of diversity and inclusion, we welcome all applications if the skills and experience listed below can be demonstrated and met.
YOUR MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the smooth day-to-day running of the operation including;
- Online rota management working towards wages to sales KPI’s
- Supplier management identifying and developing existing supplier relationships and new products
- Working with suppliers to establish best value in terms of price, delivery and business terms to feed in GP% and cost of sales KPI’s
- Monitor and control stock inventory to reduce wastage, to feed into GP% and cost of sales KPI’s
- Analyse P&L reports and oversee COGS and cashflow to reinforce SOP’s and implement new strategies according to the particular needs and limitations of the business
- Maintain a safe, secure, and legal work environment including Health & Safety, Risk Management and Assessment including Food Safety Compliance with Safe Food Better Business (SFBB)
- Working with your team of baristas to select coffees including mainstays, single origins, and features to ensure the café at all times brews the most incredible coffees commensurate with the best of offer in the UK and Europe
- Recruitment including on-boarding, performance management, training and development and off-boarding
- Build on existing customer loyalty and streamlining revenue
- Execute exceptional time management
- Demonstrate meticulous attention to detail and dedication to consistency in a demanding, high-standard environment
- Lead on being an Origin ambassador; as industry leaders, you’re responsible for demonstrating what exceptional looks like and leading Origin as one of Europe’s finest specialty coffee roasters.
- A full-time, permanent contract
- Pension contribution following successful probation
- Induction across the company, Cornwall and London
- A fabulous working environment – in this instance, very much shaped by you
- Career development – optimising learning and training opportunities led by you
- Origin is going places so you get to grow with us. This is an exciting stage of growth for us and if you’re the right person, it will be for you too.
THE BETTER THAN MOST BENEFITS
- Working and social visits to the Cornwall roastery
- Regular weekend days off
- Mental Health First Aid training
- Support with physical, mental, and financial wellness at work
- Commitment from us for your continued learning and development
- Paid time off for volunteering
- Increase in holiday allowance for longer length service
- Free weekly coffee to take home
- Free coffee and hot drinks in any of our coffee shops
- 50% off all food and discounted alcohol
- Generous discount for friends and family in all our coffee shops
- Very generous discount off brewing equipment and like-minded brands and partner suppliers
- And of course, regular social team events serving exceptional food, drink, and of course, amazing coffee!
We invite applications from exceptional people who wish to join us, so, after your homework on Origin Coffee, please email your covering letter and one-page CV to Ellie Rowe, Head of People and Culture at firstname.lastname@example.org For your application to be considered, do include the job title in the subject line of your email. As you can imagine, we receive lots, so please make it easy for us to match you with our General Manager, Shoreditch and/or Southwark.
Due to the volume of applications, please do make sure you go into detail as to why working for Origin Coffee will make a difference, not just to your life, but ours too. We are an ambitious company with an incredible team of people, so we need to know if you are going to join us, what you are going to bring to the team, more than just ‘do the job’.
START DATE - AUGUST AND SEPTEMBER.
Please note, as soon as we find the right person we shall close the job down. If this is your next opportunity don’t hesitate in getting your application in. We can’t wait to hear from you!