Free Royal Mail Tracked 48 delivery on all orders over £15 (UK only)
Order before 12:00 & get your order despatched same day (excluding weekends)
All orders of 1 or 2 x 250g bags of coffee will be despatched in a letterbox friendly parcel
2022 marks our fifth year showcasing coffee from China.
Origin were the first European coffee roaster to visit this newly developed speciality coffee region, and we’ve noticed a tremendous improvement in quality ever since. We’ve also valued spending more time working with IndoChina, who continue to help importing coffee to the roastery in Cornwall.
Banka Washing Station is based in Menglian, Yunnan. It’s named after the two nearby villages (Banka Yi and Banka Er) where many of the producers live. This coffee was grown slightly further afield at the beautiful village, Aqi Badu.
There are many regions in Yunnan that produce good coffee, but we found that the Menglian region has its own distinct quality. Aqi Badu in particular, was a stand out at our cupping for it’s floral-like intensity and chocolately finish.
- Country: China
- Method: Natural
- Producer: Banka Washing Station
- Region: Menglian, Yunnan
- Varietal: Catimor
- Elevation: 1,350 masl
- Price to Producer: USD/LB: $5
PRICE TO PRODUCER
- This is defined as the price paid to either the coffee producer who grows and processes their own coffee or the entity overseeing the primary post-harvest process. the UDS/lb calculation relates to the volume of exported green coffee.
LIVE TRANSPARENCY REPORT
- Espresso: 1:2 coffee to water, extracted in 28-32 secs
- Filter: 60-65g coffee per litre of water, brewed for 3-4 mins
- We create a new and unique profile for each coffee we roast. Although the profiles are different, our approach is always the same, to highlight and accentuate the flavours created at the farm and mill. This means we don't label our coffees as espresso, filter, dark or light roast. This coffee is omni-roast, meant to be delicious however you brew. We believe the heart of speciality is keeping the identity and character of every coffee intact and alive, no matter the brew method.
- ALAngus L.Verified BuyerPreferred Brewing Method Espresso9 seconds agoPreferred Brewing Method EspressoRated 5 starsGood
Just GoodWas this helpful?
- CBCen B.Verified BuyerPreferred Brewing Method V60Coffee Preferences Washed Process, Sweet, Natural ProcessCountry Preference El Salvador, Peru, China, Nicaragua, Honduras2 days agoPreferred Brewing Method V60Coffee Preferences Washed Process, Sweet, Natural ProcessCountry Preference El Salvador, Peru, China, Nicaragua, HondurasRated 5 starsSuperb coffee!
Until I tasted Aqi Badu I literally had no idea that China produced coffee. This has now become my very favourite coffee. The natural production process produces a subtly different flavour to the usual washing processes and it produces a subtle flavour that I absolutely lovel. The tasting notes are spot on - I get more persimmon than pineapple but Aqi Badu definitely has a delicious dark chocolate finish to it. I can't get enough of this and will be very sad if and when it goes out of season. One thing to note - I find that I grind this a hair finer than most coffees to get the most out of it in a V60. Overall very highly recommended. I'll be coming back to this coffee frequently.Was this helpful?
- LDLingyi D.Verified Buyer3 days agoRated 4 starsInteresting coffee
Interesting flavour profile and balanced overall. Price is a little high but nice to try new coffee varieties!Was this helpful?
- ATAlexander T.Verified BuyerPreferred Brewing Method V60Coffee Preferences I Don't Have OneCountry Preference I Don't Have One5 days agoPreferred Brewing Method V60Coffee Preferences I Don't Have OneCountry Preference I Don't Have OneRated 5 starsGreat
Really interesting coffee. Very enjoyable and will definitely order againWas this helpful?
- MCMarco C.Verified BuyerPreferred Brewing Method V60Coffee Preferences Nutty, Washed Process, SweetCountry Preference Ethiopia, Rwanda2 weeks agoPreferred Brewing Method V60Coffee Preferences Nutty, Washed Process, SweetCountry Preference Ethiopia, RwandaRated 5 starsDelicious
I don’t usually like naturally processed beans but this was delicious. I will be ordering a 1 kg bag as 250g wasn’t enough!Was this helpful?